Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Hemolytic Disease

When the fetus is Rh+ and the mother is Rh-, then mom has'nt any antibodies for the Rh+. Exposing the RH+ from the babies blood to the mother's her body will start to produce Rh+ antibodies. We don't want mom to start producing the RH+ for any length of time so mom is given a synthetic drug called the Rhogam shot. The Rhogam shot prevents the spread of Rh+ antibodies. Being Rh- you don't have any Rh antibodies unless you've been exposed to Rh+ blood and this is when you would produce Rh antibodies. A child is Rh+ and the mother is Rh- and has already been exposed and not treated, the mother is producing Rh antibodies which can lead to hemolytic disease!!!! (Newborns) Here red blood cells break open and release hemoglobin into the surrounding fluid (plasma).

My brothers wife malissa had to have the Rhogam shot. I spoke with her recently on the phone and learned that her son bryce was RH+ and she would have started to produce RH+ antibodies which in turn could have lead to hemolytic disease!!! Though she told me its not as common on your first pregnancy she still had to watch out for pale coloring due to anemia after birth. The primary doc. did have her come in to check Bryce's liver and spleen to see if they were enlarged. This was done by a ultra sound she said.

1 comment:

  1. I thought that this was interesting to learn in class as well. I actually had to have the Rhogam shot as well because I am Rh-, and my fiance is Rh+. Because he was Rh+ and had Rh+ antibodies, this was have meant there was a chance that my daughter, Madeline, would also have Rh+ blood. In reality, if this was this case it's kinda like your blood is poisoning your baby through your blood's antibodies!! So I could have essentially passed one of my IgG molecules (one of the five main antibodies) through the placenta which then attack the red blood cells in the baby's circulation. This in turn causes the red blood cells to break down and can cause the fetus to develope reticulocytosis and anemia. This fatal disease can range from mild to severe, and fetal death from heart failure.
    After birth it can lead to jaundice (a yellowing of the skin). As mentioned earlier it can lead to anemia which can cause heart failure, an enlarged liver or spleen, generalized swelling, and respiratory distress.
    I didn't even know something like this could happen, but thank goodness my doctor told me a little bit about it and said that I should get the Rhogam shot for sure. I wouldn't want to but my unborn baby in any harm!! True enough I have a beautiful baby girl who is now almost eight months old!!!

    ReplyDelete